Meet The Troops

Monday, December 6, 2010

Advent Activity Day 6 - Fancy Snowflakes and Paper Snowflakes!

So today's activity from our advent calendar was to make snowflakes of many kinds. We already made marshmallow snowflakes, earlier in the day for a snack, and tonight we made some good ol' fashioned paper ones as well as some new fancy ones. We started off showing the kids how to turn a regular size piece of paper into a square. 
Daddy and I helped them to fold it and then the cutting began. The kids did so much better than I thought they would. I had expected them to need a lot more help with this part but I guess they are cutting pros now.
They turned out very pretty and all completely different!
After our paper snowflake mess, we started in on the fancy ones. I cut and glued these together earlier in the day and tonight, we all painted them with glitter glue and sprinkled them with some real glitter my sweet friend, Carrie shared with us. :) I just made them out of large popsicle/tongue depressor sticks and wooden skewers, I think they turned out pretty neat! Joy gave me an adorable compliment this morning as she watched me make them, she said, "Mom, you're just like one of Santa's Elves!" Apparently her reason for saying that was because she thought I made them very quickly. I thought it was really sweet and it made me laugh! :)
Our beautiful snowflakes drying before I put them up.
Their new home on the wall.
The paper snowflakes found a home on the big window wall.
Our house is beginning to look quite festive! I love it!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool idea! You're so creative...Joy is right, you are just like Santa's elf! How bout making some for our house?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love reading your diary of events. Since Joe and I lived in Seoul for 2 years ourselves, it surely brings back a lot of memories. We miss you guys and think of you often. Bree, you are so creative. I love the things you do with your family. Your children will have so many fond memories and family traditions to carry on as they grow older. Happy Holidays. Love, Joe and Julie Maltas

    ReplyDelete